The #Buffalo25 Need Our Help!
On Tuesday, October 18th our community again came under attack when Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raided four well known Mexican restaurant in Buffalo NY and detained 25 workers. Per local organizers - ICE ransacked their families' homes, threw their belongings in the basement, and stole their savings, including one worker's $10,000 that she had saved up for her daughter's college education. At least 3 immigrants are currently in detention centers, while another 6 have ankle bracelets, meaning they cannot work and are under constant supervision by ICE. The restaurant owners were charged by the Department of Justice with "conspiracy to harbor illegal aliens."
This raid comes less than two months after the related arrest of 10 undocumented workers from a school playground in Orchard Park outside of Buffalo. These raids are in direct conflict with President Obama's promise to end workplace raids, keep families together, and limit ICE enforcement to specific priorities.
|Organizers from Moviemienta Cosecha, SURJ (Showing Up For Racial Justice), the Coalition For Economic Justice, and PUSH Buffalo organize a direction action outside the Buffalo ICE office on October 27th. |
When our community comes under attack - what do we do? Stand up! Fight back!
Local community leaders, NYIC members and partners have been rapidly responding to the crisis and supporting families by organizing sanctuary spaces, raising funds, securing legal services, and offering court support. This week they organized two big rallies to show support for the #Buffalo25 demanding "dignity not deportation." Yesterday, eight activists were arrested after they chained themselves to the doors of immigration court to shut down the court. Click HERE to read the press release from yesterday's action.
Community leaders have three simple demands for Jeh Johnson, Secretary of Homeland Security:
1. Drop all of immigration related charges against the workers
2. Stop the deportation proceedings of all of the workers
3. Release all workers who are currently detained in federal or local custody, immediately, including those still detained after the Orchard Park arrests
Here’s how you can help:
4. Contact the NYIC to organize an echo event in your region. For more information, contact Charlotte Gossett Navarro at firstname.lastname@example.org; 212-627-2227 x230.
5. Visit http://www.buffalo25.com/ - There you can find updates, the petition, donation links, live videos, sample tweets, media, and more.