Social Media Push for Temporary Protected Status for Nepalis
This Monday, May 25th marks a month since the devastating earthquake hit Nepal and caused untold amounts of damage. The NYIC has been supporting our member group Adhikaar, and Nepali communities in New York as they rally together to support their friends, families, and neighbors back home. And now they Nepali community needs your help!
On Tuesday, May 26th, we are asking as many people as possible to post on social media to urge Secretary of State Jeh Johnson to designate Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Nepal.
Nepalis with no or non-permanent status in the United States could receive the following relief through Temporary Protected Status:
- They will be able to remain in the United States lawfully for at least 18 months.
- They will be able to obtain work permits, and – if required – will be able to travel home to help their country rebuild.
- They will be able to remain in the United States free of the fear of deportation back to their home country that has ravaged by the recent earthquake.
For more background on Temporary Protected Status and potential Nepal designation, click HERE.
Please join us on social media to push for Nepal TPS. A list of sample tweets and Facebook messages are below.
The New York Immigration Coalition
- Support Nepali communities in the United States, urge @DHSgov to grant them #TPS so that they can help rebuild at home. #TPS4Nepal
- @DHSgov please help Nepalis in the United States, give them #TPS so that they can focus on helping their families back home. #TPS4Nepal
- Nearly 3,000 Nepalis in removal proceedings across U.S could be allowed to apply for #TPS. Tell @DHSgov to designate Nepal today! #TPS4Nepal
- Individuals granted #TPS are able to travel abroad. Tell @DHSgov to designate Nepal today! #TPS4Nepal http://goo.gl/zschkZVisit this link to know if you are eligible for #TPS after #nepalearthquake http://bit.ly/NepalFactsheet. #TPS4Nepal
- A month ago an earthquake devastated Nepal - support the communities in the United States help their families rebuild by telling Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson to designate Nepal for Temporary Protected Status #TPS4Nepal http://goo.gl/zschkZ
- On the 1 month anniversary of the earthquake, let’s make sure we support Nepali communities in the United States as they work hard to rebuild their home country. Urge Department of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson to designate Nepal for Temporary Protected Status #TPS4Nepal http://goo.gl/zschkZ
# # #
The New York Immigration Coalition is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State that work with immigrants and refugees.The NYIC aims to achieve a fairer and more just society that values the contributions of immigrants and extends opportunity to all by promoting immigrants’ full civic participation, fostering their leadership, and providing a unified voice and a vehicle for collective action for New York’s diverse immigrant communities.