Support Migrant Children in New York
We are in the midst of a critical refugee and humanitarian crisis. In the last six months, nearly 50,000 unaccompanied minors have been detained at the U.S southern border, fleeing severe violence from countries in Central America.
The majority of these young people are between eight and fourteen years of age. In New York State, 3,500 unaccompanied minors have already arrived – most released to family members and some to shelters. Another 6,500 minors are expected to reach the state in the coming months.
The New York Immigration Coalition has been quick to respond to these thousands of child migrants making their way to New York. We believe that it is our moral duty to embrace these newly-arrived children and support their needs – providing quality shelter and homes, and coordinating legal, social, psychological, and educational support. Many of these youth have legitimate claims to legal remedies, but without legal representation will be forced to return to their countries of origin, rife with violence.
Here's what we've done so far:
- We've sent a letter to Congress appealing for the protection of Central American women and children under the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) of 2008. Click HERE to read it.
- We have created a statewide effort, the “New York Unaccompanied Minors Working Group,” to bring together legal service providers, health & education providers, state and local government to fashion a coordinated response.
- We are launching a pilot project with diverse partners to provide broad-based, services through mobile clinics throughout the City, Long Island and Westchester that will provide quality services to these children in distress.
In the coming weeks and months, as more children are resettled in New York, we are going to need your help to ensure that we adequately support these child migrants.
Here's what you can do to help:
1. Donate to help protect migrant children in New York by clicking HERE.
2. Call your local Congressional representative to support our letter!
3. Volunteer! Help us at our youth assistance fairs and stay involved by clicking HERE.
We look forward to working together to help young migrants in need and to show that New York remains a welcoming state for immigrants.
Thank you for your support!
New York Immigration Coalition
# # #
The New York Immigration Coalition is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State that work with immigrants and refugees. The NYIC aims to achieve a fairer and more just society that values the contributions of immigrants and extends opportunity to all by promoting immigrants’ full civic participation, fostering their leadership, and providing a unified voice and a vehicle for collective action for New York’s diverse immigrant communities.