Date Posted:Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Summary of the Position
The Communications Consultant will work closely with the Senior Manager for Communications and senior NYIC management to promote the NYIC’s profile in traditional, ethnic, and social media. The individual or firm will help identify and create opportunities for strategic communications during this period of high intensity rapid response, and help build capacity of NYIC staff to lead this work going forward. This is a short-term engagement, with a possibility of extension depending on organizational needs and funding.
- Evaluate and strengthen the NYIC’s media and communication strategy, including traditional media, ethnic media, digital communications, and social media
- Identify and pursue strategic opportunities to lift of the work of the NYIC and advance our advocacy objectives, including pitching stories to key media outlets
- Draft or edit press releases, op eds, e-blasts, talking points, and other materials on short notice as requested
- Pitch and strategize high level stories with NYIC’s communications staff
- Craft and pursue targeted strategies for specific advocacy campaigns, and for rapid response to current events
- Help NYIC develop systems and policies to implement strategies longer term
- Work closely with NYIC’s communications staff to enhance and build capacity
- Extensive experience with strategic communications for advocacy organizations
- Knowledge of immigration policy and / or issues facing immigrant communities
- Knowledge of the New York and national media Landscape
- Excellent oral, public speaking, and written communications skills
- Ability to produce high quality material on short timeframes in response to current events
- Fluency in Spanish or another language is a strong asset.
Interested candidates should send a proposal summarizing qualifications, relevant experience and work you have done for similar clients, how you would approach the engagement, and your fees to email@example.com. Please also include 2-3 short writing samples. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for a consultant to begin as soon as possible.