Manager, Outreach for Public Benefits
The New York Immigration Coalition is seeking a community educator and advocate to oversee the NYIC’s participation in the Robin Hood Foundation’s Billion Dollar Challenge. This person will lead the NYIC’s work to support our immigrant-serving partners and member organizations to disseminate information on public benefits eligibility and enrollment and link immigrants to public benefits. They will work as part of the NYIC’s Health Advocacy team, and in close coordination with the membership and special projects teams, to respond to dramatic federal changes in immigration and public benefits policy.
- Develop and lead a training curriculum for immigrant-serving organizations who are NYIC members and partners focused on linking immigrants eligible for public benefits (specifically SNAP, WIC, and EITC) to community-based organizations and other partners that conduct outreach and/or enrollment in public benefits;
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to funding, outreach, and enrollment partners working with immigrant communities on ideal methods for finding hard-to-reach populations, leveraging ethnic media and community networks;
- Keep abreast of changes to immigration and public benefits law and regulation in general, and those pertaining to SNAP, WIC, and EITC specifically, and adapt training and outreach materials to reflect new information;
- Coordinate closely with NYIC members to identify opportunities to connect outreach and enrollment partners in their communities;
- Engage NYIC member organizations and other partners in NYIC events and participate in coordination of large community engagement events focused on public health and benefits;
- Interface with the New York State of Health, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the NYC Human Resources Administration on enrollment issues and challenges that immigrants may encounter;
- Attend community engagement events, forums, advocacy meetings and townhalls on behalf of NYIC;
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Three to five years of experience doing immigration-related advocacy, policy, enrollment, or service work, or related work with a community-based organization strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of public benefits eligibility, including SNAP, WIC, and EITC, and issues facing New York’s low-income immigrant communities;
- Experience conducting trainings and providing technical assistance is an advantage;
- Proficiency in Spanish or Chinese is strongly preferred, knowledge of other languages is also an asset;
- Strong written and oral communication skills and comfort with public speaking;
- Ability to operate in a fast paced environment and to juggle multiple tasks.
Please send cover letter explaining why this position interests you and why you are the ideal candidate, resume, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: Manager of Outreach for Public Benefits by Thursday, April 6. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged. No phone calls will be accepted about this position.