Senior Associate, Regional Outreach (Long Island)
Location: Position is based on Long Island and will require regular travel within Long Island and to New York City, as well as periodic travel to other regions of New York.
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state. Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Summary of the Position
The Senior Associate for Regional Outreach will work closely with the NYIC Regional Team to grow the NYIC statewide presence, deepen the engagement of NYIC members and partners in NYIC initiatives, and build the political power of immigrant communities, the organizations who serve them, and the NYIC. This position will lead the NYIC’s efforts on Long Island and work closely with NYIC member organizations serving Nassau and Suffolk counties. They will convene and mobilize regional member and partner organizations, lead NYIC advocacy efforts on Long Island, and serve as a link to key resources for member agencies.
- Coordinate member agencies and coalition partners around local, state, and federal advocacy campaigns, as well as rapid response work as necessary
- Develop and strengthen relationships with member organizations as well as non-traditional partners and allies across Long Island
- Work with local agencies to coordinate and support the provision of immigration services – including legal and social services - to diverse immigrant communities
- Forge relationships with policy makers on Long Island, including elected and other key government officials, and serve as the NYIC expert on the Long Island landscape
- Build and maintain relationships with media covering the region, including local, ethnic, and mainstream outlets, and utilize traditional and digital media to promote advocacy goals, in consultation with NYIC communications team.
- Deep knowledge of and commitment to social justice and immigrant justice and to Long Island’s diverse immigrant communities
- Experience overseeing initiatives and coalition building with multiple, diverse partners
- Experience with policy advocacy and strategic communications highly desired
- Strong ability and experience in public speaking and meeting facilitation
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing deadlines
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Fluency in Spanish or another language is strongly preferred
- Access to a reliable vehicle is desireable but not required
- Availability for some evening and weekend activities.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, 1 brief writing sample to email@example.com. All emails must have “Regional Outreach Senior Associate” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of May 8. The ideal start date would be late June. No phone calls or emails will be accepted around this position.