Manager, Legal Initiatives
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Summary of the Position
The Legal Initiatives Manager will work closely with the Director of Legal Initiatives in coordinating the provision of immigration legal services throughout New York State and supporting the interests of immigration legal service providers. The Manager will play a key role in developing and implementing the NYIC's rapid responses to changes in immigration policy, convening and coordinating legal services providers throughout the state to maximize knowledge and resources, as well as coordinating services to targeted communities as the need arises. This position will require occasional travel.
The Legal Initiatives Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinate, and where necessary create, regular regional workgroups of immigration legal service providers to foster open communication and maximization of resources.
- Provide training to lawyers and non-lawyers on immigration law, including to the NYIC's Immigration Navigators network.
- Support Immigration Navigators in providing services to their communities and connecting them to legal service providers and encourage legal service providers to utilize Navigators for referrals and assistance.
- Create systems, protocols, toolkits, materials, and other relevant items to further collaboration and cooperation between immigrant service providers.
- Work with partner agencies to coordinate the provision of immigration services – including screenings, legal consultations, application assistance - to diverse immigrant communities.
- Incorporate coordination and provision of services into existing NYIC initiatives.
- Support the NYIC's advocacy efforts, particularly in respect to campaigns to increase resources for legal service providers, access to justice for immigrants, and to promote better federal immigration laws and policies.
- Administer government grants and re-grants.
- Bachelor's degree required; law degree or master's degree strongly preferred. Attorney or BIA-accredited representative preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience, including in provision of immigrant services. Familiarity with past mass-assistance efforts such as DACA or TPS would be an asset.
- Experience working with complex initiatives with multiple partners, and experience with community outreach highly desired. Experience with event planning, particularly events that require the use of volunteers, is an asset.
- Comfort with public speaking, leading trainings, and meeting facilitation.
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing and attention to detail.
- Fluency in Spanish, Chinese or another language is strongly preferred.
How to apply
Please send cover letter explaining why this position interests you and why you are the ideal candidate, resume, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Legal Initiatives Manager by Friday, January 27. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged. No phone calls will be accepted about this position.